Placenta Encapsulation Services
- Encapsulation Package: Includes phone, email, or in person consultation, 75-200 pills (depending on the size of placenta), your choice of no flavor capsules or strawberry flavor capsules, pick up/drop off service, and umbilical cord keepsake : $300
- Add Ons:
- Placenta Tincture (made with Organic Alcohol, 2 oz dropper bottle, lasts forever!): $50
- Placenta Herbal Salve (4 oz) : $50
FAQs for Placenta Services:
- What is Placenta Encapsulation?
The first thing I do is examine your placenta and wash the blood off. Depending on your preparation preference, the placenta is either very thinly sliced, or gently steamed and then thinly sliced. These slices go into a food grade dehydrator until the internal temperature reaches 160° F for about 8-10 hours. It is then ground up into a fine powder and put into pill form using an encapsulating device. I package your capsules using a dark glass container to protect the quality and potency.
- What is the difference between the raw method and basic heated?
The raw foods method of preparation skips the heating process before dehydration. Your placenta is only washed and sliced. This gives you more potent capsules and a higher yield. The heated method gently warms the placenta. The placenta is sliced and dehydrated. Basic Heated stays in the line with the belief that the postpartum body needs warmth to properly health from birth, replenish and move fluids and remove obstructions. Both have incredible benefits!
- What are the benefits of placenta encapsulation?
Placenta encapsulation is a nutritional supplement and should be treated as such. Placenta pills are NOT meant to replace any herbs or supplements suggested by your care provider. Placenta pills are not for every postpartum mom but however they have proven beneficial in others. These benefits include: a better milk production, a decrease in postpartum depression levels, restoration of iron levels in the blood, increased oxytocin, and an increase in CRH (a stress reducing hormone). Some also believe it can help with building baby's immune system, weaning from breast feeding, regulating hormones during menopause. Here is a breakdown of what each hormones found in the placenta provides:
- Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone: Contributes to mammary gland development in preparation for lactation; stabilizes postpartum mood; regulates post-birth uterine cramping; decreases depression; normalizes and stimulates libido.
- Oxytocin: Decreases pain and increases bonding in mother and infant; counteracts the production of stress hormones such as Cortisol; greatly reduces postpartum bleeding; enhances the breastfeeding let-down reflex.
- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH): Low levels of CRH are implicated in postpartum depression. Regulation of CRH helps prevent depression.
- Prolactin: Promotes lactation; increases milk supply; enhances the mothering instinct.
- How long will it take for encapsulation?
From the time I pick up your placenta from your place of birth it will take me about 24-48 hours to encapsulate. I will deliver pills, tinctures, and salves to your location once all products are finished. Dosage and other instructions will also be given to you.
- Can I encapsulate my placenta if I have a C-section?
Absolutely! Just make sure you let your care provider and hospital know that you plan to take your placenta home with you. They will place it in a small, plastic container labeled with your information.
- A few things about The RH factor:
1) Ingesting the placenta and its blood is a completely different route than coming in contact with it through the bloodstream
2) The encapsulation process involves draining much of the blood and using heat by steaming/dehydrating which denatures the Rh proteins
3) Our GI tracts also breaks down these proteins so that they don't cause immune recognition and reactions, which is likely nature's plan to begin with since most mammals eat their placenta
4) If a mother gets the Rhogam shot to prevent sensitization, then she would be protected should any Rh+ proteins from the placenta get past the things mentioned above.
- What is a placenta tincture?
Tinctures are an excellent alternative to get longevity from your placenta. A piece of the placenta will be tinctured with a high grade alcohol and placed in a 2 oz dropper bottle for you to have. The purpose of a tincture is to help with balancing stress and hormones. Tinctures can also be used to aid in transitional periods in life such as postpartum and menopause. Tinctures last forever if stored properly!
- What is the Salve?
A placenta salve is like a lotion or cream made with oils and natural herbs that can be used on the skin for healing benefits. Placenta salve can be useful in reducing stretch marks and can also help heal C- section scars.
- What does the encapsulation package include?
If you choose to encapsulate your placenta we will arrange a time for us to meet prenatally to go over all of the information and forms and also to get everything squared away for pick up and drop off. We will then be in touch regarding picking up the placenta after birth. I will perform the encapsulation and any other services you have chosen and have everything returned to you within 24-48 hours.
- Interesting Research Articles on Placentophagy:
While there is very little hard scientific evidence on placentophagy it is important to keep in mind that the anecdotal evidence has been very good and consistent. Below is an article on placentophagy which gives the detail of a survey. Also below I have included the results from a University Nevada, Las Vegas study.
UNLV Study Highlights
- UNLV researchers surveyed 189 women who had ingested their placenta after the birth of at least one child.
- Top positive self-reported effects of placentophagy:
- • Improved mood
- • Increased energy
- • Improved lactation
- Top negative self-reported side effects of placentophagy:
- • Unpleasant burping
- • Headaches
- • Unappealing taste or smell
- How does payment work?
I accept either cash, Venmo, or PayPal payments for my services and all payments are made at the prenatal meeting if not before. If your placenta is unable to be encapsulated for any reason (ex: The placenta is sent to pathology in the hosp.) I will give a full refund.
- How do I get started?
Please feel free to text, call, or email me for more info, questions, or on how to get started with your encapsulation! I look forward to hearing from you! 260-415-7009
Follow more blog posts on Instagram @bougainvilleabirthblog